Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Dyer of the Week

Anybody notice how there are about a million indie dyers out there now?? Well I just decided to spotlight one a week out of my stash. I'm not the world's expert on sock yarn or anything- I just love it and wanted to push er enable others to find these dyers. I'm not affiliated with any of these and the following is just my opinion- no offense meant. (Most of the time it's positive anyway). This week is FLY DYED!!!!!!!! The picture below is my collection by this dyer. The colors are FABULOUS!!! If you like bold and intense colors, this is the dyer for you. I have two kinds: Lace Wing Sock which is sw merino and 546yds/125g and Monarch: SW merino 370yds/4.5oz. Lace wing is a 2ply and Monarch is a 3ply, both are tightly spun into a very springy yarn. I have not yet knit up any so I'm not sure how the colors pool or stripe or whatever. My favorite thing about this dyer: The reds! They are truly red, not orange-y red or pink-y red, just a vibrant red (I'll get back to you on colorfastness. They are one of the few dyers who have perfected red (I've been disappointed by other dyers endlessly on this front.) I have found them here.

Next week I'll do a fiber indie dyer.

TA DAH!! This is one completed sock (bottom two pics)for the Sockmania KAL- Spiral socks- very fun- the other is started on the needles but alas I will not get the pair done by the end of month. This first pic is my false start- it was frogged. The yarn was two thick for the needles and was turning out to be cardboard!

Yarn I used: Apple Pie Lady Blue by Apple Laine. I think the yarn color is a bit busy for the design but the gauge, and yarn were turning out so lovely. (it is a wool, mohair, silk nylon blend and feels wonderful on your feet.) Thanks Anni for another great pattern!


Last thing- I've finally accomplished some more spinning. Here is my lovely soaking to set the ply. (You know you're a spinner when the only time you clean the sink is so your wool won't get dirty when you wash it...)

This was my first time Navajo plying- I'm quite pleased actually. I was so paranoid about overplying it that some parts are under- plyed - figures. Navajo plying has always intimidated me, turns out I was making it more difficult than it was- don't ya love those AHA/lightbulb moments!

Weighs about 4oz light worsted I think. Roving is Superwash by Interlacements either Submarine or Blues colorway. Until next time!

1 comment:

Carol said...

Great idea! I do love those colors! Your handspun is gorgeous! I don't spin (yet) but I do clean my sink before a handknit is to be blocked! ;)