Saturday, September 15, 2007

From the beginning!

I know I'm not the speediest of knitter's. I am self-taught and I know that my style of Continental knitting is "eclectic" at best. As long as you like your knitting/process there is no wrong way to knit right?? Not necessarily. I was reading a certain Harlot's blog with the question of how many stitches per minute can you knit on a sock?? I was reading the answers- thinking "oh I'm probably on the slow side of average". I timed myself- several times- to my frustration it was 12st/minute!!!!! No wonder I have SSS! Average is about 30-40st/minute! My attention span wanders after the first sock, if I could knit average- I'd have warm feet every day this winter!!

So I'm reteaching myself how to knit- the "correct way"- death grip on needles and all. I found some great videos on UTube demonstrating Continental style. So far, so good although it's hard to break old habits (fortunately I've only been knitting 5 years). Slow knitting is not bad- but I know I would like to improve my speed and style. My goal is to be at 30 st/ minute- that's over twice as fast as now, and I might be able to finish something once in awhile!

1 comment:

Carol said...

I haven't even timed myself yet. Afraid of how slow I'll clock! I will do it though, cause now I HAVE to know.